by Gertrude Battle (Used by permission)
Baptism is one of the ordinances Christ placed in the church. It
commemorates the burial and resurrection of Christ. There are different
modes of baptism. Are they all right, or is there one correct way?
- I. Forms of Baptism
- A.How many forms of baptism are mentioned in the Bible?
- Only one.
- B. How is it described in one place?
- As a burial. The word baptism' comes from the Greek word baptizo',
meaning to dip or immerse. This mode was practiced by the early church.
It was not until the twelfth century that a change was made.
- C. Why did John go to Aenon, near Salim, to baptize?
- Because there was much water there.
- D. Where was Jesus baptized and how?
Matt. 3:13 ,
- In the river Jordan. If He came up out of the water, He must have
gone down into it.
- E. How did Philip baptize the eunuch?
- They both went down into the water.
- II. When to be Baptized
- A.What was a part of the great commission?
Mark 16:15, 16
- To baptize those who accepted the Gospel. It was always associated
with their teachings..
- B.Is baptism by water enough in itself?
- No. We are also to receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
- C. Is it wise to put off baptism when one is ready?
Acts 22:16 ;
Acts 9:18 ;
Acts 8:36 ;
See also Ps. 119:60
- No. Paul was an example, also the eunuch.
- D. What is one thing that pleases God?
1 Sam. 15:22
- III. Instruction Before Baptism
- A. What should precede baptism?
Matt. 28:19, 20
- Instruction should be given the candidate. He should be taught to
observe all things, whatsoever Christ commanded. Repentance and
conversion should also precede baptism.
- IV. Meaning of Baptism
- A.What does baptism symbolize?
- It is a symbol of the death of the old man of sin (our carnal
natures) and a resurrection to a new life in Christ Jesus.
Hosea 2:19, 20
See also Gal. 2:20
Also like a marriage ceremony, when we are married to Christ.
Jer. 3:14 first part.
- B. Through this experience, what do we become?
1 John 3:1
- We become sons and daughters of God, children of the royal family of
- V. Rebaptism
- A.Is it sometimes good to be rebaptized?
- Yes. These people had only heard of John's teachings and were not
fully informed in the teachings of Jesus. They may have been converts of
Apollos who, himself, was taught the Gospel by Aquila and Priscilla.
- It is good to be baptized by a minister who believes in and is,
himself, keeping all of God's commandments.
Bible Studies List
or visit The Bible Study Collection!
Bible Studies by
E-mail - More in-depth studies!
Your comments or questions are welcome!.
McDonald Road SDA Church Home
Updated 6/16/2006 by Kim Rollins