Spirit of Prophecy
by Gertrude Battle (Used by permission)
- l. Return of Elijah
- A. What is said concerning Elijah?
Mal. 4:5, 6
- He will return.
- B. What did Jesus say about John the Baptist?
- He was the Elijah which was to come.
- C. In what way was John the Baptist the Elijah?
- He was to come in the same spirit and power of Elijah and with a
message similar to Elijah's.
- D. What did John say about himself when asked about his identity?
- He denied that he was Elijah. John was trying to turn their
attention to his message rather
than to himself. It mattered little who he was.
- E. How did Jesus express this same truth?
Matt. 11:10 ,
- 'If you will receive it (the message), this is the Elijah which was
- II. Apostasy of Ancient Israel
- A. Through Ahab's marriage to Jezebel what
conditions did he bring abut in Israel?
1 Kings 16:30-33
- He led all Israel into idolatry. They were in a state of confusion,
trying to worship the God
of heaven and also to follow the teachings of the prophets of Baal.
- B.What drastic action did God take to bring them back to Him?
1 Kings 17:1
- He withheld the rain for three and one half years.
James 5:17, 18
During this time God protected Elijah from his enemies.
- C. At the end of the three-and-one-half-year period what
command was given to Elijah?
1 Kings 18:1
- To go to Ahab.
Verses 17, 18
- III. Elijah Message
- A.What was Elijah's message to the people?
- If God is the true God, then follow Him, but if Baal, then follow
him, but not to try to follow both. When Jesus was on earth the same
problem existed. The people were trying to follow the traditions of men
and also the Scriptures. Jesus always pointed them to the scriptures.
Today we have a similar problem in the religious world. We still have the
traditions of our fathers and many, many theories of men that are being
taught in the churches. At the same time, they still preach
from the Bible. The Roman Catholic church claims she is the only
authority for truth. The Elijah message applies with equal force today:
If the Bible is the Word of God, then follow it; but if the Roman Catholic
church is the authority, then follow her, but don't try to follow both at
the same time. This has brought about the condition in the religious
world called Babylon' which means confusion.
- IV. Church Likened to the Human Body
- A.To what does God liken His church in
1 Corinthians 12:1 ;
- To the human body with all its members. The gifts in the church are
comparable to the various members of the body.
- V. Gifts in the Church
- A.Why have these gifts been placed in the church?
1 Cor. 12:18 ,
- That there should be no divisions in the church.
- B. Name some of the gifts.
1 Cor. 12:28 and
- C.When all of these gifts are in the church and working
together harmoniously, what kind of a church will it be?
Eph. 4:12-16 NIV
- They will perfect and edify the church and also keep out any false
doctrines. When all the members and organs of the human body are
functioning properly, we have health.' So it is with the church. With
all the gifts in the church and functioning properly, we will have a healthy,
- VI. Gift of Prophecy
- A. In olden times what was a prophet called?
1 Sam. 9:9
- A seer. He was the eyes for the church and guided it. When one
loses his sight he stumbles around in darkness. While God's people were
obedient to Him there was a prophet in the church, but when they strayed
away from His commandments, He withdrew the prophet from their midst.
See Lam. 2:9 ;
- The gift of prophecy was in the church during Apostolic times, but
later when the church apostatized there were no longer any prophets that
we have a record of. During the 1260 year period, when the Papacy ruled
the world, the little church walked almost in total darkness. The
Scriptures were precious in those days and were copied by hand.
- B. Will the church, which will be waiting for Christ to
come, have all these gifts?
1 Cor. 1:6, 7 ,
- It will come behind in no gift. It will also be a united church--not
in uniformity, but in unity.
- VII. Identification of the Remnant Church
- A.How is the remnant church identified?
Rev. 19:10 ;
- The gift of prophecy.
- VIII. Women Prophetesses
- A. Did God give this gift only to men?
Ex. 15:20 ;
Judges 4:4 ;
2 Kings 22:14
Luke 2:36 ;
Acts 21:8, 9
- No. There were also women prophetesses.
- IX. Warning Against False Prophets
- A. What warning has been given us concerning false prophets?
1 John 4:1;
- There will be false prophets who will perform miracles so great that
they will deceive, if possible, the very elect of God.
- B. What are the marks of a true prophet?
- 1. True prophets will be genuine Christians.
Matt. 7:15 ,
Gal. 5:22, 23
- 2. They will teach according to the Scriptures. We are to prove
them on this point.
1 Thess. 5:19, 21 ;
- 3. No matter if they can perform miracles and yet are teaching
contrary to the scriptures,
believe them not, though their predictions even come true.
- 4. Their predictions should come true.
- 5. A prophet is unconscious of his surrounding while in vision. The
ones in his presence do
not see what he is seeing or hear what he is hearing.
- 6. A prophet does not breath while in vision.
Dan. 10:17 last part
- 7.His eyes remain open at times.
- X. Function of Prophets
- A. How does God speak to His people?
Num. 12:6 ;
- He revealeth Himself and His secrets to His people through the
- B. Why are prophets sent to us?
2 Chron. 24:19
- To bring us back to God and to His Word.
- C. How did God bring His people out of Egypt?
- By a prophet. Has there ever been a time in the history of the
church when a prophet was more needed than today with all the confusion
there is in the religious world?
- XI. All the Gifts Needed in the Church
- A. What is the only thing that will bring true prosperity
into the church?
2 Chron. 20:20
- Believe in the Lord our God and also His prophets. (Perfect vision is
20/20 vision.) The church that has this gift will have perfect vision
which will enable her to see through the darkness
of these last days and find her way to the kingdom.
Bible Studies List
or visit The Bible Study Collection!
Bible Studies by
E-mail - More in-depth studies!
Your comments or questions are welcome!.
McDonald Road SDA Church Home
Updated 6/19/2006 by Kim Rollins