Repairing the Breach
in God's Wall
by Gertrude Battle (Used by permission)
- l. The Church Likened to a Vineyard
- A. To what does God liken His church?
Isa. 5:1, 2 margin
- To a vineyard. What did He do to this vineyard
among other things? He fenced it, or as the margin says, made a wall
- II. Peace Within this Wall
- A. What is within this wall?
- There is peace within this wall.
- B. What is it that brings this peace?
- As long as we stay within the principles of God's Law, there is
peace. Is there any peace outside?
Verse 22 No.
- III. By Breaking the One Commandment we Transgress the
- A.On what is the first commandment of the Decalogue
- B. What does the last commandment forbid?
- C. What is another definition of the word covetousness'?
Col. 3:5 ;
- Idolatry. Since the first and last commandments are based on
the same principle, we will let them form the hinge of the circle.
- D. If we break one of these commandments, does it mean
that we have broken the whole law?
- No matter what part of this wall we climb over, we will be on
the outside of the whole wall.
- IV. The Call to Come Out of Babylon and Egypt
- A.From were is God calling His people today?
Rev. 18:1-4 ;
- From Babylon and from Egypt. Babylon is a symbol of the
confusion in the religious world, and Egypt is a symbol of the world
without God--the heathen world..
- V. A Breach in the Wall
- A. Why was the church in 1844 not ready for Christ to
- There was a breach in the wall that had not been repaired. He
looked for a church at that time which would have accepted the judgment
hour message (Lesson 6), but He found none.
- B. What did God have to do?
- He had to raise up a people, and they were called the
repairers of the breach.' We can see by these texts that the breach is
the fourth commandment, or the Sabbath commandment. This is
the only one that has been changed completely, and another, a false
sabbath, set up in its place.
- C.When this breach is repaired and closed up, will
not those inside the wall be sealed?
- VI. Rebuilding of the Temple at Jerusalem
- A. Under what conditions was the last work in the
building of the wall around Jerusalem done after the Jews left Babylon?
- Through the prophet Daniel God foretold that the completion of
the wall would be done in troublous times, and in Nehemiah, chapter 4 we
have the fulfillment of this prophecy.
Neh. 4:1-3 ,
first their enemies mocked them, but when they saw the work progressing,
they conspired against them to destroy them. There were times when the
Jews almost despaired of ever finishing the work because of so
much debris. Today we almost despair of clearing man-made theories
and traditions from the minds of people that they might understand the
pure truths of the Word of God.
verse 10 They
had watchmen stationed all around the wall to keep them posted on the
movements of the enemy and the progress of the work, and the men worked
with their tools in one hand and their weapons ready at
a moment's notice. However, through prayer and work and faith, they
finished the wall and were at last safe inside their city.
- VII. History to be Repeated
- A.Under what conditions will the work be done in the
- History will be repeated. There will again be a conspiracy
against God's people to destroy them.
- The Mark of the Beast--One of the claims of the Roman
Catholic church as proof of her authority is that she was able to change
God's Sabbath from Saturday, the seventh day, to Sunday, the first day of
the week. She claims it as a mark of her power.
- The Seal of God--The Sabbath is the sign that we
worship the God who created us, both in creation and recreation. It is a
special sign to all Christians who have experienced the
new birth. God's seal is in the fourth commandment. Compare
Eze. 36:26,27 and
- The Issue--The issue is not over days' but whether we
worship God and obey Him or obey man and the laws of the land which
conflict with our obedience to God.
Dan. 3:17, 18 ;
Acts 5:29 ;
- VIII. Call to Modern Israel
- A. What call that was made to ancient Israel is
applicable to us today?
- It is just as important for us to come out of spiritual Babylon
today as it was for the Jews to come out of ancient Babylon which, by the
way, was already condemned to destruction. The city was completely
destroyed and never rebuilt..
- B. With whom is the church dwelling today?
Revelation 17:5 this great power is called the mother of harlots.'
If she is a mother, she must have daughters. Compare with
Ezekiel 16:44,45 .
Today the call is to separate ourselves from her
influence and teachings.
- IX. The Work for God's People Today
- A. What call should be going to all the world today?
- God's people, many of them, are in Babylon and in the world.
They are scattered throughout the whole world in different
churches, among the heathen; many not even members of any church
but honest seekers of the truth. They are innocently trampling on
one of God's commandments and need to be shown the truth concerning
His Sabbath. Before Christ there were two classes of people living in
the world, the Jews and the heathen. After Christ there were three
classes, the Jews, the heathen, and the Christians. The Christians came
from both the other two classes. After a period of about 500 years, the
Christian church apostatized and became known as the Roman Catholic
church. The Walensians remained faithful. From the Catholic church came
also the Presbyterians led by John Knox, and from the Presbyterian
church came the Reformed churches. For the Catholic church came
the Lutherans. The Anabaptists seemed to have been one of the
earliest churches that came through the Reformation. The Baptists
came from the Anabaptists. In 1844 people came from all of these
churches and formed the Advent Movement, and from this movement
came the Remnant church.
- X. The Last Decree Before Christ
- A. When this work is completed, what decree will go
- It will be as when God closed the door of the ark in Noah's
day. probation for man will be closed forever. Those on the
inside of the wall will be safe and those outside doomed.
- XI. Warning to Modern Israel
- A. What invitation did Christ give us?
- The rest that is found in keeping the Sabbath is a type of the
rest that is found in complete surrender to Christ.
- B. What warning did Paul give to modern Israel?
; Isa. 42:24
; Eze. 20:12-24
; Heb. 4:1-11
- Not to make the same mistake that ancient Israel did, in
neglecting to keep His Sabbath holy. Emphasize
It is His rest that we enter into, and He gave us
an example to do even as He did, when He rested from all
- XII. The Ones Who Remain Within This Wall
- A. Will all who come inside this wall remain?
- Many who come in will go back out again, but those who remain
inside will have their names retained in the Book of Life in heaven.
- B. Where will God's people find deliverance in the
- Not in Babylon, nor Egypt, but in Zion, or Jerusalem.
- When one remembers the Creator all week long and plans his work
around the Sabbath, he is not likely to forget the other nine
commandments. Far from being the least, it is the most important
one of the ten. It keeps us in continual remembrance of our
Creator, and this is life eternal `that they might know Thee the
only true God, and Jesus Christ whom Thou hast sent.'
; Isa. 42:24
; Eze. 20:21-24
; Heb. 4:1-11.
Paul is giving Modern Israel a warning not to make the same mistake
that ancient Israel made in disobeying God's commandments and polluting
His holy Sabbath day. Compare
with verse 4,
especially that last part of verse 10.
Bible Studies List
or visit The Bible Study Collection!
Bible Studies by
E-mail - More in-depth studies!
Your comments or questions are welcome!.
McDonald Road SDA Church Home
Updated 6/19/2006 by Kim Rollins