I. What Is Gods Attitude Toward Sinners?
- Ezekiel 18:
- 23 Have I any pleasure at all that the wicked should die? saith the Lord God: and not that he should return from his ways, and live?
- 31 Cast away from you all your transgressions, whereby ye have transgressed; and make you a new heart and a new spirit: for why will ye die, O house of Israel?
- 32 For I have no pleasure in the death of him that dieth, saith the Lord God: wherefore turn yourselves, and live ye.
- Ezekiel 33:
- 11 Say unto them, As I live, saith the Lord God, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live: turn ye, turn ye from your evil ways; for why will ye die, O house of Israel?
- 2 Peter 3:
- 9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to usward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
- Luke 9:
- 56 For the Son of man is not come to destroy men' lives, but to save them. And they went to another village.
- Exodus 34:
- 6 And the Lord passed by before him, and proclaimed, The Lord, The Lord God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abundant in goodness and truth,
- 7 Keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, and that will by no means clear the guilty; visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, and upon the childrens children, unto the third and to the fourth generation.
- Genesis 3:
- 22 And the Lord God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:
- 24 So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.
- God wanted to make sure that sinful man could not have eternal life. God does not want immortal sin so He made sure that man could not eat of the tree of life.
- Isaiah 5:
- 4 What could have been done more to my vineyard, that I have not done in it? wherefore, when I looked that it should bring forth grapes, brought it forth wild grapes?
- Isaiah 28:
- 18 And your covenant with death shall be disannulled, and your agreement with hell shall not stand; when the overflowing scourge shall pass through, then ye shall be trodden down by it.
- 21 For the Lord shall rise up as in mount Perazim, he shall be wroth as in the valley of Gibeon, that he may do his work, his strange work; and bring to pass his act, his strange act.
- Proverbs 11:
- 21 Though hand join in hand, the wicked shall not be unpunished: but the seed of the righteous shall be delivered.
- Isaiah 13:
- 11 And I will punish the world for their evil, and the wicked for their iniquity; and I will cause the arrogancy of the proud to cease, and will lay low the haughtiness of the terrible.
- God does not want to see anyone die. It is only after He has done all He can to encourage sinners to choose Him that He finally performs His strange act of punishing the wicked.
Dwight Waterhouse is the compiler of this information. Please feel free to send your comments and questions. David Waterhouse is the Webmaster. You can reach both of us at the same E mail